Wow… This healthy Broccoli Chicken Casserole recipe is made with your choice of Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole pasta, tender broccoli and chicken, and also the yummy creamy cheddar mushroom sauce.
Increase your hand in the event that you grew up with eating broccoli casserole! Ah, what do we say, it is what all the cool kids were doing back in the 80’s. For all those who crave a fantastic chicken casserole now and then days. I’ve a modern variant now and I’m sure that you will love it so much. See my 100% from scratch, lightened-up, nevertheless ultra-creamy and sweet, reassuring. This is chicken broccoli casserole recipe!
It is created out of each the traditional elements in the broccoli chicken casserole recipes when i’m child. Freshened up a bit to bring us right into this years. We Are talking lot about broccoli (you can use Frozen or Fresh ), tender chicken (feel free to use a rotisserie for a shortcut), Your choice of pasta (I used whole-wheat, but every kind will work), and a lots of sharp cheddar-cheese.
Then, for substitute of canned cream of mushroom-soup, Then this broccoli chicken casserole recipe make an easy homemade creamy mushroom-sauce. Made with a lot of fresh mushrooms and zesty-seasonings to make certain this casserole is not bland.
It is creamy, modern, cozy and comfort food at its very best. And prepare yourself, since it can vanishes in a flash.
Want to customize this recipe?You are free to be creative as you want!
- Make it gluten-free: Use gluten-free pasta, then thicken the sauce using blend of all-purpose gluten-free flour. (or you may stir a few tbsp of gluten-free cornstarch to the cold milk before adding it into the sauce).
- Make it vegetarian: We make a vegetarian version to check this recipe by simply omitting the chicken. along with the broccoli this vegetarian was great by itself. Or, obviously, you can add a few additional veggies to the mix too.
- Use another kind of cheese: In case if you don’t want cheddar, this casserole would also be delicious with a mixture of high quality mozzarella and Parmesan-cheese. Or some kind of spicy pepperjack will be yummy too!
- Add Fresh-herbs: don’t hesitate to add in a fresh Italian herbs (such as parsley, rosemary, basi or thyme ) if want.
- Use a distinct protein: Cooked-sausage,steak, or shrimp would all be yummy in this casserole in substitute of chicken.
- Utilize rice Rather than pasta: To create classic chicken and rice casserole, cook 1 cup of (uncooked) rice according to package directions. Then stir it in the casserole as you’d the pasta.
I hope you enjoy and thanks a lot for reading. Want to browse all of my recipe posts? Follow my Pinterest.
Please, if you recreate this Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole , don’t forget to give me star rate or comment below. Thanks!
Maybe you like this other Delicious Recipe:
- Miso Glazed Mushrooms
- Easy Vegan Pad Thai
- Sweet Potato And Quinoa Chili
- Bangkok Curry Noodle Bowls (Gluten-Free & Vegan)
- Creamy Veggies And Noodles
Healthier Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- Baking Dish
- Non Stick Pan
- 1/4 tsp black-pepper freshly-cracked
- 8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided 2 cups
- 2 cups cooked chicken diced or shredded
- 8 oz baby bella cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 8 oz pasta* uncooked
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable-stock
- 1 small white-onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp Dijon-mustard
- 1/2 tsp sea salt smooth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 lb large head of broccoli* cut into bite-sized
- 2 tbsp olive-oil or butter
- First, heat the oven to 400°F.
- Second, cook pasta in a large-stockpot of generously-salted boiling water until it’s al dente (soft but still chewy when bitten). But about 1 minute before the pasta is done, add the broccoli into the boiling water and stir till mixed. Drain both the broccoli and pasta and then set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter (or oil) at a massive-sauté pan above medium-high-heat.
- Then, add the onion and then sauté for 3 minutes, stirring periodically. Add the garlic and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mushrooms are cooked .
- Sprinkle the flour evenly over the onion mixture and stir till mixxed. Cook for about 1 minute, stirring periodically. Add in the stock, and stir everything together until most of the clumps are gone.
- Add in milk, Dijon, pepper and salt and stir until blended. Keep on cooking the sauce till it reaches a simmer. Then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese until it’s combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.
- At a large 9 x 13-inch baking-dish, combine the cooked broccoli, pasta, mushroom-sauce and chicken. Toss until mixxed. Smooth the casserole into an even coating.
- Then, bake uncovered for about 15 minutes. Then remove pan in the oven, sprinkle the rest of the cheddar-cheese evenly on top of the casserole, and bake for 10 more minutes until the cheese is nice and melty.
- Finally you can serve while still warm, garnish with additional black pepper or fresh herbs, if desired.
Steak: Any kind of pasta will work here. Traditional (semolina), Gluten-free, whole-wheat, egg, or alternative-grain pasta.